Monday, July 19, 2010

How To Make Sturdy, Inexpensive Workbenches





My husband made these fabulous work benches for my studio this weekend! We got one heavy-duty steel frame bookcase. Then we supplemented the wood shelving by laying thick plywood on top. Finally, we stuffed weatherstripping in between the sides of the plywood and the metal shelving brackets. Voila! The best part is one bookcase makes two benches! There was a really nice guy working at Home Depot who showed us how to make it.

On my workbench, you'll see my anvil, plastic mallet, planishing hammer, brass head mallet, ring marking anvil, and bent shank ring stamps, and a coil of sterling silver wire. Pretty fun, huh?

Below, you'll see some of the rings I make on my workbench. They're 14K white gold stacking rings set in tapered tube setting with faceted gemstones: white topaz, red garnet, and blue sapphire.

4 comments:

  1. I love the colors in those stacking rings! White gold is my favorite metal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking Bench. I am jealous. I am using an old accountants desk from the 1970s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got my payment for $500.

    Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much you can make filling out paid surveys online...

    So I show them a video of myself actually getting paid $500 for taking paid surveys to set the record straight.

    ReplyDelete